A heat pump has both heating and cooling capabilities, all rolled into one single piece of equipment. During the warmer months, it draws heat f rom the indoors and expels it outdoors to keep you cool. The reverse happens during the colder months — it draws heat from the outdoors and pushes it indoors.
As with any hard-working HVAC system, your heat pump must be maintained to keep it running smoothly. In this article, our Air Quality HVAC team explains the importance of scheduling a regular heat pump tune-up.
What Happens During a Heat Pump Tune-Up
A heat pump tune-up is conducted to ensure the functionality and efficiency of the system. It involves a series of procedures executed by a certified HVAC professional. Here’s a step-by-step guide to what you can inspect:
- Inspection. The entire system, including the coil, wiring, filters, blower motor, and compressor unit, is checked for general functionality.
- Cleaning. Both indoor and outdoor units are cleaned to prevent dust and debris accumulation, which could hinder performance.
- Lubrication. All moving parts are lubricated to reduce wear and tear and ensure smooth operation.
- Assessing Refrigerant Levels. Your technician will check the unit’s refrigerant levels, making sure it is the right for your system for optimal energy efficiency.
- Repairing Electrical Connections. All connections are inspected to ensure there are no frayed wires or disconnections.
- Verifying Thermostat Settings. Your technician will recalibrate your thermostat so it could help the heat pump provide consistent heating or cooling. They may also recommend replacing it with a programmable thermostat.
- System Testing. Your technician will do a final test to ensure all elements function correctly.
Why You Should Never Skip a Heat Pump Tune-Up
Skipping a heat pump tune-up might seem easy to save a few bucks, but it can cost you more in the long run. A neglected heat pump needs to work harder to heat your home, which could lead to higher energy bills.
This increased strain also affects the heat pump’s lifespan, preventing it from providing indoor comfort and air quality. The effects of neglecting your heat pump can be significant, from an unexpected breakdown in the middle of summer or winter to a gradual decline in the overall comfort of your home.
The Benefits of Regular Heat Pump Tune-Ups
With regular heat pump tune-ups, you ensure your system operates efficiently, saving you money on energy bills. A well-maintained heat pump also lasts longer, reducing the need to frequently call a furnace repair technician.
Most importantly, regular tune-ups help you maintain good indoor air quality. A well-tuned heat pump circulates cleaner, healthier air throughout your home, helping protect your and your family’s health.
Schedule a Heat Pump Tune-Up Today
At Air Quality Heating & Air Conditioning, we make it a priority to keep your HVAC system in tip-top condition year-round. With our superior Air Quality heating and cooling services, we can spot potential problems before they become costly repairs or replacements. To get started with your heat pump tune-up in San Jose, CA, call us at (408) 920-3910, or visit our contact page.